What is the Gospel?
- In 60 seconds or less explain the good news of Jesus Christ.
- Why I am here?
- What went wrong
- How the world be set right again.
The gospel is the historical narrative of the triune God orchestrating the reconciliation and redemption of a broken creation and fallen creatures from Satan, sin and its effects to the Father and each other through the life, death, resurrection and future return of the Son by the power of the Spirit for God’s glory and the church’s joy.
WHAT IS BAPTISM?
Water baptism is only intended for the individual who has received the saving benefits of Christ’s atoning work and become His disciple. Therefore, in obedience to Christ’s command and as a testimony to God, the church, oneself and the world, a believer should be immersed in water in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Water baptism is a visual and symbolic demonstration of a person’s union with Christ in the likeness of His death and resurrection. It signifies that a person’s former way of life has been put to death and depicts a release from the mastery of sin.
As a symbol, baptism illustrates a number of significant realities (Romans 6:4):
- Christ’s death and resurrection
- The disciple’s union with Christ in His death and resurrection
- The new life in which a disciple walks
- Cleansing and washing away of sin
WHY SHOULD A PERSON BE BAPTIZED?
- To obey the commands of Christ (Matt 28:18-20)
- To evidence that a person is a disciple of Christ
- To follow the example of Christ (Luke 3:21-22)
WHO SHOULD BE BAPTIZED?
- Any individual who has received the saving benefits of Christ’s atoning work.
WHEN SHOULD A PERSON BE BAPTIZED?
- After and as soon as a person trusts Christ.
- The scriptures do not speak of delayed baptism in which a regenerate believer refrains from baptism to the ordinance.
- Common Fears
- Not being good enough
- Should a person re-baptized?
HOW SHOULD A PERSON BE BAPTIZED?
- Sprinkling, pouring, or immersing?
- The Greek word βαπτίζω (baptizo) literally means to plunge, submerge or immerse.
- The representation of union in Christ’s death and resurrection is best expressed through immersion.
- The surrounding context of baptisms in the Scriptures suggests baptism by immersion.
WHERE SHOULD A PERSON BE BAPTIZED?
- Although there are not prescriptions in the Scriptures, we believe the ordinance of baptism should be practiced within the local church.
Baptist Faith and Message 2000.